Everyone is guilty of taking things for granted at some point. We are all blessed so much even though sometimes we don’t take the time to realize it. We all seem to get so caught up in our daily life and the demands set upon us with chores and work, that we forget that it’s the simple things that matter so much in the end— like making memories with the ones we love most.
Losing a child is every parent’s worst nightmare. The heartbreak is unimaginable and indescribable to those who have never been through it.
Richard Pringle went through this tragic life-altering event when his beautiful son named Hughie passed away last summer following a brain hemorrhage.
Now he has shared a list of the 10 most important lessons he has learned through the tragedy. It’s a list all parents should read.
Hughie was only 3-years-old when he left this world; he had a brain condition but was doing well at the time of his death. “There was only a 5% chance of a bleed, but unfortunately that 5% chance happened last year and he didn’t survive,” Richard said, as reported by The Mirror.
The list has now gone viral and has touched so many hearts. Here are Richard’s important life lessons for parents:
1. ”You can never ever kiss and love too much. ”
2. ”You always have time. Stop what you’re doing and play, even if it’s just for a minute. Nothing’s that important that it can’t wait. ”
3. ”Take as many photos and record as many videos as humanly possible. One day that might be all you have.”
4. ”Don’t spend money, spend time. You think what you spend matters? It doesn’t. What you do matters. Jump in puddles, go for walks. Swim in the sea, build a camp and have fun. That’s all they want. I can’t remember what we bought Hughie I can only remember what we did.”
5. ”Sing. Sing songs together. My happiest memories are of Hughie sitting on my shoulders or sitting next to me in the car singing our favorite songs. Memories are created in music.”
6. ”Cherish the simplest of things. Night times, bedtimes, reading stories. Dinners together. Lazy Sundays. Cherish the simplest of times. They are what I miss the most. Don’t let those special times pass you by unnoticed”.
7. ”Always kiss those you love goodbye and if you forget. Go back and kiss them. You never know if it’s the last time you’ll get the chance.”
8. ”Make boring things fun. Shopping trips, car journeys, walking to the shops. Be silly, tell jokes, laugh, smile and enjoy yourselves. They’re only chores if you treat them like that. Life is too short not to have fun.”
9. ”Keep a journal. Write down everything your little ones do that lights up your world. The funny things they say, the cute things they do. We only started doing this after we lost Hughie. We wanted to remember everything. Now we do it for Hettie and we will for Hennie too. You’ll have these memories written down forever and when your older you can look back and cherish every moment.”
10. ”If you have your children with you. To kiss goodnight. To have breakfast with. To walk to school. To take to university. To watch get married. You are blessed. Never ever forget that ❤”
It is hard to read this without getting teary eyed.
Life is crazy and it’s easy to take the people around us for granted, but spending time together and making happy memories are so important because you never know when yesterday will be their last day or yours.
Please share so that more people can see this important list.