Bad things happen in this world, but God promises us that he is good no matter what. When we find ourselves in need, we need to turn our eyes to heaven and pray for God’s will to be done. Losing someone close to you is always hard, but it seems as though that pain multiplies when you lose a child. 17-year-old Jack Dunn was suffering from severe stomach pains and the teen could hardly even walk properly anymore. His parents immediately took Jack to the hospital where doctors performed a number of tests.
But, the doctors gave Jack a simple diagnosis: bad constipation. He was given some laxative medications that were supposed to help with constipation. But, little did they know that Jack’s medical issue was far more severe. His father, Kieron, found the boy dead in his bed just 24 hours after he was released from the hospital. “We took him to A&E and completely trusted the doctors in telling us what was wrong with him. He could barely walk he was in so much pain. He was given a bladder scan but it didn’t really show anything up. The doctor said he was baffled and believed Jack was suffering from nothing more than a bad bout of constipation,” Kieron said. Unfortunately, the doctors were unable to point out Jack’s underlying medical condition at the time: diabetic ketoacidosis.
Diabetic ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition that occurs when the body is unable to produce enough insulin. In addition, the body also produces an excessive amount of ketones or blood acids. “When Jack was finding it difficult to breathe the doctor thought it was probably anxiety because Jack was anxious about being in the hospital,” Kieron said. “But him struggling to breathe was because his organs were closing down because of the ketoacidosis. Finding my son dead in his bed was the worst moment of my life. I believe Jack would be alive today if a few more simple tests had been carried out.”
His parents say that if doctors were to have performed a simple glucose test, it could have saved their son’s life. “Jack’s white blood cell count was up so that was an indicator something was going on in his body that wasn’t right,” Kieron said. “If they had tested him for ketones he would probably be alive today.”
Share this story and spread the word about this deadly condition!