It’s June, which can mean just one thing: the arrival of a gloriously warm summer.
What better way to celebrate this lovely season of summer than spending as much time outdoors as possible?
That said, while we’re outside, protecting your skin from the damaging rays of the sun is essential.
It’s even more critical for young kids. Just one bad sunburn can increase the chances of skin cancer later in life.
Before taking her one-year-old daughter out in the sun, mother Rebecca Cannon had sun safety in mind. But she was horrified by what occurred to her child’s face when she sprayed her daughter with an aerosol sunscreen.
Rebecca Cannon and her one-year-old daughter were getting prepared to enjoy the excellent outdoors and ensured that her daughter Kyla was properly covered up.
She purchased a spray-on sunblock can which was approved for 6 months and older kids.
She followed the directions and sprayed it on her side, rubbing it on the face of her daughter.
What occurred next resulted in one mom’s horrific experience and little Kyla’s painful one. The face of Kyla began to swell and became very red, and her mother couldn’t figure out why because she had covered her all day.
The next day the face of her daughter got worse and she rushed her to the emergency room.
“She was red. She was blistering,” Rebecca told The Today Show. “She was the only one who had the sunscreen on, and she is the only one who burned.”
Doctors said Kyla endured second-degree burns. That not only upset Rebecca but she also couldn’t figure out how it happened.
Rebecca had not even used any sunscreen that day and was not red at all so she could not understand why her daughter was covered in blisters.
It turns out that the burns had been caused by the spray sunscreen. Since this incident, other parents have complained of the same problem happening to their children after using aerosolized sunscreen.
Even though this specific sunscreen was recommended for 6 months and above doctors recommend that children use mineral block sunscreens until they’re about 4 or 5 years old.
“I never thought in a million years that this would happen,” she told Today. “I just want people to do their due diligence when they are putting stuff on their youngsters.”